Don’t be the next statistic, carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that gives no warning—you cannot see it, smell it or taste it. To make matters worse, symptoms of CO poisoning can easily be confused with symptoms of viral illnesses like the common cold or seasonal flu. If you suspect CO poisoning, handle it as a medical emergency.
Below are key safety tips that may potentially save your life or the life of a loved one.
Reduce your risk of CO exposure/poisoning:
- Only use generators outside. Keep them more than 20 feet from both you and your neighbor’s home, doors, or windows. Carbon monoxide gas can blow back into a building if too close.
- Clear snow from all heating and dryer vents.
- Gas appliances must have adequate ventilation. If need be, keep a window slightly cracked to allow airflow.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Never use the stove to heat your home/apartment.
- Do not bring generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, garage, carport, camper, boat cabin, or tent – or even outside near an open window or door.
- DO NOT cook with charcoal indoors.
- DO NOT idle a car in a closed garage. Once you pull in, immediately turn off the engine.
- Do not idle a car in a snowbank. If stuck in the snow, make sure to clear the tailpipe and surrounding area to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the car.
- If you do not have any carbon monoxide detectors, install them right away. If your detectors are old and/or not working properly, replace them right away. Check the batteries and replace if needed.
If you suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning, take immediate action:
- If someone is unconscious or unresponsive, get him or her out of the house and call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Exit the house/building immediately. Do not waste time opening windows. This will delay your escape and cause you to breathe in even more dangerous fumes.
- Contact your local fire department/energy provider.
- Call the NJ Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate treatment advice. Do not waste time looking for information on the internet about carbon monoxide poisoning. Call us for fast, free and accurate information.
Poison control centers are a great resource for information and emergencies. Keep us at your fingertips. Save the Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222) as a contact in your phone. You can reach New Jersey’s poison experts in the following ways: call 1-800-222-1222, chat via www.njpies.org, or text firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information is provided by The New Jersey Poison Information & Education System, 800-222-1222 within New Jersey and 800-962-1253 outside of New Jersey.